Our Nuclear client is looking for a Nuclear Piping Designer to support projects based out of their Peterborough, ON location.
With our Nuclear client you will be required to work on on technically challenging projects as a member of the Fuel Handling mechanical engineering team. You will be responsible for the design of mechanical equipment and systems for CANDU reactors. Projects will involve you in the design, development and test of mechanical equipment for automated and semi-automated fuelling machines, robotic systems, and maintenance tooling for CANDU reactors and related systems. There is also opportunity to work on site assignment at one of the nuclear power plants in Ontario.
- Provide execution of design and analysis of complex CANDU piping systems from concept to issue of final engineering documents.
- Preparation or approval of design documentation, specifications, design reports, analysis reports, technical specifications, applicable codes & standards, development and test plans, and engineering quotations requests. Prepare and present technical data to internal and external customers as required.
- Performing piping stress analysis calculations, overpressure protection calculations and reports, pipe support load capacity data sheets, etc. Traditional methods of the analysis as well as the use of associated software packages would be included.
- Support of existing equipment to address obsolescence issues, performance shortcomings, and troubleshooting scenarios.
- Maintain knowledge of stress analysis techniques and applications and provide consultation to design engineers as required.
- Assure proper documentation of technical data generated for the assigned projects and/or tasks is consistent with engineering policies and applicable standards.
- Adhere to on-time/on-budget criteria associated with project commitments and customer success.
- Bachelor or Masters of Engineering degree in Mechanical with specialization in piping system design and analysis techniques.
- PEO certified Professional Engineer, or in process.
- Knowledge in the application of ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code (Section III and VIII), ASME B31.1, B31.3, CSA N285.0, CSA B51.
- Experience with creation of Nuclear piping design reports in accordance with ASME NB/NC/ND-3600.
- Experience with creation of Nuclear piping overpressure protection reports in accordance with ASME NB/NC/ND-7000.
- Minimum 10 years experience in mechanical engineering analysis practice in a manufacturing environment with modern technology.
- Minimum 5 years experience at Nuclear Power Plant in Ontario
- Strong preference given to experience related to CANDU nuclear heavy water systems or safety systems: Primary Heat Transport, Moderator Auxiliary Systems, Fuelling Machine Auxiliaries, Purification, Leak Collection, Shutdown and Maintenance Cooling, ECI, etc.
- Consideration given to experience related conventional CANDU light water systems: LP Service Water, HP Service Water, etc.
- Knowledge of the jurisdictional processes for pressure vessels (TSSA, CNSC).
- Competence in mechanical equipment design and design processes.
- Creative problem-solving skills, outstanding analytical abilities, demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
- Knowledge of Nuclear Engineering Change Control Process