Our client is currently requesting resumes for the following position: Engineering Lead
Resume Due Date: November 14, 2016 (5:00PM)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Project: Balance of Plant – Refurbishment
Duration: 1 year
This assignment will operate within a shared service model. Job responsibilities, duties and accountabilities are as listed below:
- Act as the technical conscience embedded within the Projects Organization, on behalf of the Engineering Authority (NR VP of Engineering).
- Provide oversight and intervene as required to achieve quality based on Nuclear Quality Management Systems, Nuclear Work Management Processes, and Industry Best Practices (INPO, ERPI, WANO, etc.).
- Receive task assignments from Functional Manager and/or Project Managers/Directors; consult with same, as required to identify and rectify potential problems and opportunities in assigned areas.
- Receive technical direction and/or authority from the Design and Engineering Authorities as per strong matrix organization structure.
- Execute and/or manage execution of design engineering packages.
- Oversee and support execution of construction/comprehensive work packages and construction in the field and/or vendor facilities.
- Manage commissioning and close out activities.
- Provide technical leadership and oversight to the assigned Project Engineers.
- Direct the assignment of technical tasks within the Projects and the Functional organization(s), on behalf of the Project Managers/Directors.
- Contribute to the preparation of the Functional Department's annual work program, budget and business plan; as well as, support the Project Managers/Directors.
- Accountable and available for timely and accurate resolution of emergent technical threats during all Project phases.
- Prepare and present reports regarding project status and issues to senior OPG management answering senior management queries as required.
- Manage the complete set of technical issues and/or escalation as required.
- Manage the complete set of technical documentation associated with large and complex nuclear engineering projects.
- Provide oversight as required during all phases of the work at worksites. This includes OPG and vendor offices, manufacturer's facilities, construction worksites, generating station and regulatory facilities. This will require travel and overnight absences.
- Requires a diverse theoretical knowledge of engineering and scientific principles to understand and evaluate complex and critical issues of an engineering nature and to carry out engineering functions on large-scale construction projects.
- Requires an understanding of contract management processes, contract law and an appreciation of client needs and issues.
- Requires a knowledge of codes and standards as they apply to construction site projects.
- Requires knowledge of business administration and an advanced proficiency in written and oral communication skills to clearly articulate complex issues to a broad range of contacts (regulatory agencies and senior management) on technical issues and to understand the financial, economic and social implications.
- Requires knowledge of coaching and supervisory techniques to support an effective team environment.
- This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired in either a four-year university education in Mechanical Engineering and/or Project Management or by having the equivalent.
- Requires experience in large scale engineering projects, in all phases, from definition of need to closeout, this includes research, engineering estimating and planning, cost monitoring and reporting, needs statements, design requirements, conceptual design, detailed design, procurement, installation planning, construction, commissioning, turnover and closeout, etc. to become fully conversant with project management practices and developments.
- Requires relevant engineering experience associated with project management systems and standards of large scale engineering projects including definition and management of scope, project execution plans, preparation and status of schedules, reporting and metrics.
- Requires demonstrated experience in the application of engineering knowledge in a wide and varied set of major assignments and projects including the handling of multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Requires experience interacting with regulatory authorities (TSSA, CNSC, etc). Requires experience with Laws, regulations, codes standards, procedures governing design, construction, commissioning and operation of nuclear generating stations, systems, structure and components.
- Experience with the design and licensing basis of OPG nuclear generating stations and systems.
- Management of Engineering and Technical staff and multi-discipline internal and external teams.
- Demonstrated experience with management of the technical documentation associated with large complex nuclear engineering projects.
- Experience in identification of technical risks and issues, and development of mitigation strategies and/or resolution of issues.
- A period of over 10 years and up to and including 12 years is considered necessary to gain this experience.