We are currently requesting resumes for the following position Project Leader
Resume Due Date: Monday June 11th (5:00PM EST)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Duration: 2 years
Location: 14000 Niagara Parkway
Responsible for organizing, coordinating and executing project portfolios. Manage all stages of projects in accordance with sound Project Management principles, from development and approval to safe execution to final acceptance. Be a champion of stakeholder engagement. Lead matrix project execution teams. Coordinate and manage project documentation. Ensure appropriate OPG Project Management and Contract Management governance and other accepted best practices are followed, specifically, Niagara Project Management Life Cycle (PMLC). Identify and communicate opportunities for continuous improvement in all areas of project management.
Project Planning and Development
- Review and accept project charters. Develop project background information. Prepare or coordinate the preparation of all planning information pertinent to assigned projects. Lead project teams through definition phase to select a preferred alternative. Prepare or assist in the preparation of Business Case Submissions for release of project funds.
- Contribute to scope and constructability reviews, initiate and coordinate estimates, schedules, execution plans and contract performance specifications. Develop structures for estimating and controlling project funds. Develop resource requirements and plans. Gather input from internal and external stakeholders to ensure project requirements are captured and detailed in the estimate and execution plans. Arrange for application to, and negotiate with internal and external agencies for all necessary approvals, licenses, permits or clearances required. Ensure proper process is followed when defining labour requirements and arranging for internal or external labour resources. Coordinate the clarification of design and specification requirements, and arrange for necessary changes. Co-ordinate and participate in the preparation of specifications, bid packages, evaluation of tenders, and purchasing recommendations.
- Maintain effective communication with internal and external stakeholders, regulatory bodies and agencies, and coordinate exchange of relevant information as required to meet the project objectives. Arrange and chair meetings involving appropriate stakeholders. Guide and direct discussions involving internal staff, contractors, manufacturers, and suppliers to efficiently and effectively meet project objectives.
- Develop sound execution plans, including execution org charts that clearly articulate resource requirements.
- Initiate execution of projects once approved. Work closely with Supply Chain to ensure contracts are well-defined prior to award. Work with Work Center Managers to ensure internal resources are available to support projects. Arrange and lead meetings to coordinate work by designers, suppliers, construction and operations before and after contract award. Maintain close liaison with field construction forces and operations with respect to design, schedules, costing, and other related issues. Provide regular project or work package reports. Monitor, evaluate and report on cost, scope, schedule, quality, environment, safety, etc. and manage changes. Provide explanations and recommendations for disposition of cost variances, and take corrective actions when required. Evaluate project plans at every stage for project risk and develop mitigation plans. Execute other project management functions as required by corporate policies and procedures.
- Administer project documentation such as specifications, drawings, field contracts, inspection and test plans, quality control procedures, job safety analyses, etc. Participate in site tests, inspections, surveillance and verification, commissioning and start-up activities. Prepare and review final Turnover Documentation for completeness and provide technical assistance as required and where appropriate.
- Perform all aspects of the Contract Administrator role as defined by OPG Contractor Management governance. Manage contractors, providing oversight and verification. Review and approve as required contractor submissions, schedules, work methods and quality procedures. Ensure contractor is prepared to work safely by applying Contractor Management governance and following the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Corporate Safety Rules, the Contractor Safety Manual, and other applicable guidelines. Recommend the assignment of additional resources as required. Lead multi-faceted project teams through execution, commissioning and turnover. Work closely with the team to ensure all project and contract requirements are communicated, and roles are clearly defined and properly understood.
- Be familiar with Occupation Health and Safety Act (OHSA), applicable Ontario Power Generation Safety Rules, Federal and Provincial safety regulations and ensure they are being met.
- Participate in the development of, and manage the project site safety program in accordance with all Ontario Power Generation policies and procedures and OHSA regulations. Promote safe working practices and conditions. Conduct and/or arrange to have safety meetings and job safety analysis conducted. Respond promptly to safety violations and take necessary steps to eliminate unsafe conditions. Make recommendations or changes as required.
- Participate in the development of, and manage the project site environmental program to ensure compliance with Ontario Power Generation policies and procedures, applicable legislation and project Environmental Requirements. Make recommendations as required.
- Assist in the preparation of estimates and negotiate costs for design changes of work in progress. Provide documentation and back-up information and assist with negotiations with respect to claims by contractors, and the control and monitoring of contract package costs.
- Evaluate, schedule and prioritize work activities and sequences by contractors or internal forces. Participate in scheduling and control of the overall project site work programs. Initiate and monitor detailed co-ordinating schedules. Ensure that drawings, equipment, materials and manpower are available to meet schedules.
- Develop, review and maintain Microsoft Project schedules. Provide appropriate reports on work package progress and related issues. Monitor the overall construction process and provide reports to supervisor. Identify deficiencies and negative trends and initiate and/or recommend corrective action as required.
- Manage project scope by comparing project progress with charter deliverables. Develop detailed scope documents as required to clarify the understanding of scope with all stakeholders. Manage scope changes using appropriate change management processes.
- Ensure quality standards are specified, communicated, and achieved and that technical inspections are arranged as required. Organize and participate in the review of the quality requirements and work methods, procedures, staff and materials employed in carrying out specific projects. Administer the site QA program.
Requires a knowledge of:
- Construction project management principles
- Construction processes
- Estimating, cost accounting and forecasting
- Engineering principles as related to industrial and power generation equipment
- Construction safety and environmental considerations
- Contract management processes
- Codes and standards as they apply to construction site projects
- Effective team and stakeholder communication
- Strong team leadership
- Quality assurance
This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired either through the successful completion of a four-year university education in an appropriate engineering field or by having the equivalent level of education.
Requires experience and skills in
- Project management
- Stakeholder engagement
- Project plan development
- Cost estimate preparation
- Contract bidding and award processes
- Managing projects through all phases
- Managing conflicting priorities of scope, schedule, cost and quality
- Team management
- Interpersonal communication
- OPG-specific procedures
- PMP designation is a definite asset.