- Provide technical evaluations and advice, solve problems and coordinate technical work in a number of major work areas, in support of the commissioning, operation and maintenance of the facilities.
- Identify potential problems and opportunities in assigned areas and/or systems in the facility.
- Assess, evaluate and recommend initial disposition of the problems as requiring (1) further review and investigations, (2) abandonment of the problem as being the best alternative.
- Receive approval and discusses proposed solution, as required with other personnel; such as, Section Managers, Shift Supervisors, Atomic Energy of Canada Limited (AECL) and Head Office specialists, designers in Bruce Power or external to the Corporation.
- Prepare submission including cost justification or financial evaluation as appropriate; recommends adoption of the proposal and steps required to incorporate it. Submits these for approval or forwarding if necessary.
- Prepare as required and on receipt of authorization, detailed documentation of the proposal, such as equipment specifications, engineering calculations, installation, testing, operating and maintenance procedures and the like.
- Submit necessary documentation covering complete proposal for forwarding to responsible bodies for cost and installation approval if necessary
- Discuss installation or implementation with persons concerned and ensures, where possible, that the installation is as was intended.
- Instruct staff as necessary through lecture, field training, operating procedure and the like.
- Keep abreast of maintenance and operating problems and take action to implement change as appropriate.
- Cooperates with other departments and organizations in arranging for tests and providing appropriate documentation as required.
- Keep abreast of new developments in the field for use in incorporating same in department equipment or operation.
- Maintain and/or update operating and other specified department/divisional procedures.
- Receive assignments relating to procedures from Supervisor or identifies potential problems and opportunities. Discuss these with operating personnel or others as required to ensure current practices are recognized in the procedure.
- Prepare new or revised procedures consistent with operating licenses, policies, principles, department standard practices, standing instructions, maximum safety of operation, minimal risk of damage or loss, optimum frequency of routines; efficient operation and the like. Submit for review and approval.
- Prepare reports to provide information and data in answer to external requests or for historical purposes.
- Initiate studies or investigations where opportunities for improvement are apparent. In some instances, these opportunities may be identified by the Supervisor.
- Collect, or arrange for collection, and analyze data from past events or operations.
- Prepare reports, for distribution to various groups, outlining technical details of procedures, processes, results or conclusions and the roles played by various groups
- The foregoing may include delivery of presentations. Provide explanations and answers to questions received from recipients of reports.
- Review proposals received from internal or external sources related to assigned area.
- Discuss proposal with originator as necessary to suggest changes or revisions as appropriate. Recommends disposition of proposal to Supervisor in writing for review and forwarding to approval authority.
- Prepare or helps prepare specifications, for purchasing requisitions for material, services and equipment. Follow up with procurement and provides necessary technical services during field installation. Prepares recommendations for spare parts requirements for new equipment.
- Recommend research and development programs required to improve equipment, system or unit reliability or performance, chemical control, material performance, rates and the like. Follows up on such research and development work and help coordinate as required. Provides all necessary information and assistance to facilitate such programs.
- Participate in training programs to further own development and assists in the development of others. Attends lectures, do assignments and write examinations. Develops training material and gives lectures, sets and marks examinations and otherwise assists in training programs.
- May be required to gather and collate data for use in department budget preparation and to monitor variances to annual budget and submit to Supervisor for reporting purposes.
- On a periodic basis, supervises staff involved in the above activities by assigning and checking work and as required give instructions and direction.
HIRE FOR ONE OF THESE ROLES
Hire technical talent - for a project or full-time. We'll work to give you the best options for your needs.
Who Do I Talk To?
If you're looking for a job opportunity and don't see what you're looking for on the site, we'll try and connect you with the right person.