Do you want to work for the largest electrical and natural gas utility companies in Michigan? Assisting them in serving 6.7 million of the states 10 million residents? They are currently looking for a Senior Project Engineer to support their facility in Essexville, Michigan. If you’re interested and qualified, we urge you to apply!
Position: Senior Project Engineer
Location: Essexville, Michigan
The electrical project engineer will work on the project engineering team within the generation engineering and services department. The projects consist of modifications to existing facilities and new construction for the electric generating and gas compression fleet. This position will require working closely with project managers, engineers of other disciplines, plant engineers, plant operations and maintenance personnel, outage managers, start up and testing, Architectural & Engineering firms, contracted labor, and vendor representatives.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Develop and/or review engineering drawings and calculations that detail plans and specifications for construction projects.
- Communicate effectively with a vast group of stakeholders to ensure all electrical technical aspects of the project are completed per the safety, scope, schedule, and budgetary objectives.
- Identify, analyze, and recommend corrective actions to technical issues identified in the field during project execution or initial operation.
- Develop and/or review electrical engineering technical specifications and bid documents for engineered equipment, materials engineering, and construction service contracts.
- Perform field engineering and support the resolution of construction and start up and testing issues.
- Assist project management and project controls with the development of project schedules and budgets.
- Attend and/or lead project coordination meetings.
- Participate in the closeout of projects including turnover of project files and record documents at project closure; captures lessons learned.
- Planning, design, construction, and maintenance of Electric and Gas Distribution and Electric Generation systems as well as facilities and ancillary support process for all utility operations.
- Duties and who this individual reports to will fluctuate between projects, Practice Areas, and offices. Individual possesses the skills lead, problem solve, and work well in a team environment.
- Individual should exemplify safe work practices and follow the company’s compliance standards.
- Lead and/or assist with engineering projects to include design, plans, inspections, system planning, specifications, reports, maps, environmental impacts, permits, contracts, schedules, estimates, surveying, easements, data collection, construction observation, and field investigation.
- Provide engineering services with accuracy, integrating all applicable governmental and company laws, standards and procedures on time and under budget.
- Use computer assisted engineering, design, and drafting software and equipment to prepare engineering and design documents. Understand and follow company established standard procedures for file structure and standard drawing procedures for projects Become familiar with plans and specifications, maps, and related material for each project and be able to utilize the information appropriately.
- Assists in client contact and communication.
- Utilize effective oral and written communication skills to provide technical expertise to coworkers, clients, customers, government entities and the public.
- Public involvement may include producing reports, graphics, presentations, and other visual material as well as occasional speaking or meeting with stakeholders.
- Attend internal and external meetings.
- Provide all engineering services in a legal and ethical manner.
- Resolve all customer complaints in a timely manner.
- Serve as onsite project representative. Reviews operating and construction sites to monitor progress and other duties per the design documents.
The following skills and experience will set you apart from others:
- Power generation industry relevant work experience.
- Generating plant utility systems knowledge.
- Professional Engineer (PE) certification.
- Excellent communications skills.
- Ability to interact with various work groups including craft, contractor, technical, engineering, and management.
- Knowledge in design, construction or operation of electric fossil generating plants.
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering from an ABET Accredited school
- 8+ years of relevant work experience
- 3+ years of work experience with Emerson Distributed Control Systems