OPERATIONS PLANNING ENGINEER
Location: Head Office – Regina, SK
Employment Type: Full-time, Contract
Start Date: September 1, 2017
End Date: March 31, 2018 (with potential one (1) year extensions, for up to four (4) renewals)
Days and Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Contract Duration: Minimum of seven (7) months
Work Group: Operations Planning Group for System Control.
Only candidates who meet all of the three (3) ‘Must Haves’ will be evaluated.
1. Any one (1) of the following three (3) options for Engineering qualifications:
- Hold a degree in Engineering from an Accredited Canadian Engineering program; or
- Be currently registered with APEGS, or an affiliated branch of the national association, as a Professional Engineer or Engineer-In-Training; or
- Provide a letter from APEGS, or an affiliated branch of the national association, indicating that your World Educational Services “WES- ICAP” educational credentials assessment meets the APEGS requirements and is acceptable for registration in Saskatchewan.
2. If English is NOT your first language, you must provide evidence of English language competency in the form of one (1) of the following certified scores:
- TOEFL – Test of English as a Foreign Language.
- TOEFL ibt – Score of 110 or higher
- TOEFL ITP – Not Accepted
- TOEFL Junior – Not Accepted
- TOEFL Primary Test – Not Accepted
- CELPIP – Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program
- CELPIP General – Score of 9 or higher (for each component)
- CELPIP General LS – Not Accepted
- IELTS – International English Language Test System
- IELTS Academic – Score of 8 or higher
- IELTS General – Not Accepted
- TOEIC – Test of English for International Communication:
- TOEIC L&R – Minimum score 900
- TOEIC S&W – Minimum score 360
3. Hold a valid Class 5 Saskatchewan driver’s license or equivalent.
- Engineering experience in natural gas transmission and storage industry.
- Experience in the oil and gas industry.
- Solid background in understanding of components’ purpose in larger mechanical systems
- Experience managing engineering projects, and coordinating or delegating work assignments.
This role will require the use of the following software:
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Lotus Notes
- SynerGee Gas Hydraulic Modelling
Our large Client’s Operations Planning Team is responsible for the safe and reliable day-to-day operating plans of the high-pressure transmission network within the province of Saskatchewan. This includes more than 14,000 km of high pressure transmission pipeline, 19 compressor stations, 10 storage locations, and coordinating more than 200 outages affecting receipt and delivery customers across the province of Saskatchewan.
This position will work closely with other Engineers, Gas Control, and Field Operations staff to manage contracted transport capacity, available storage production and injection, efficient compressor station operation, and effective outage planning to achieve the day-to-day targets of a transmission system that operates greater than 90% of capacity on many days.
Duties and Responsibilties:
Management of Day-to-Day System Operation
Working as part of the Operations Planning team the Contract Engineer activities will include:
- Assist with monitoring the TransGas transmission system operation through creation of graphs and weekly and monthly reports of the transmission system.
- Daily creation of short term forecasts for system operation and storage injection or production to assist Gas Control with management of supply / demand.
- Hydraulic modelling activities for system operation and outage planning. Also to determine and/or confirm transmission system capacity.
- Maintaining and updating transmission system information databases.
- Assisting with managing seasonal storage operation and capacity with weekly and monthly tracking.
- Completing new project requests including working through the capital expenditure process.
- Utilizing station Modes of Operation and / or creating new Modes of Operation to achieve desired system operation results.
Outage Management and Planning Activities
Working as part of a diverse team of Project Engineers, Field Operations, and Construction Planning Supervisors, the Contractor will be significantly involved the TransGas Outage Management Process.
This role includes:
- Involvement in the Outage Management Process from initiation of planning activities to execution of tasks.
- Assessing the specific customer and service impacts of individual outages.
- Creating general outage timelines for Field Operations to build specific outage plans to be executed and working through numerous revisions.
- Creating a detailed operating plan for Gas Control that coordinates with Field Operations activities for each outage. Setting achievable targets for system pressure and flow to manage outage requirements.
- Determining customer capacity and creating formal customer notifications for restricted service.
- Tracking the impacts and results of the outages.
- Assisting with system outage scheduling to manage impacts of multiple occurring outages.
*Office space and computer will be provided by the company, and if required, a mobile phone.