Sr. Electrical Automation Engineer (1-year contract)
Our client has been in the mining and marine business since the 1960’s, serving clients worldwide from Canada to Mexico, to Mongolia and Indonesia. Their engineering excellence means they regularly win contracts away from industry heavy-weights, and our products are the most technically advanced in the world.
Now, thanks to our rapid increase in business, they need to bolster their team with a Senior Electrical Automation Engineer to help them continue their upwards trajectory. If you’re excited to work in a position with autonomy and responsibility at a cutting-edge company, we want to hear from you.
Your primary goal will be the design and commissioning of control systems for marine replenishment at sea systems. They want you to have a strong electrical design and support background in high speed PID control and hydraulic controls.
You also bring a high level of familiarity with Modicon programmable logic controllers as well as human-machine interface packages, specifically Magelis. Your deep knowledge and competency with these systems means that the team and the customer is confident in your abilities, and you’re comfortable in the field, successfully taking on whatever problem is presented.
You’re responsive and adaptive, able to thrive in a fast-paced dynamic environment. You have great communications skills and can effectively communicate complex information to clients and co-workers. Technical documentation and reporting is a forte. You’re also highly intelligent and competent, which lets you to build trusting relationships with everyone you interact with.
You’re the kind of person who does whatever it takes to get the job done right, and get customers up and running. Whether that means getting on a plane to Mongolia, or making every single line of code perfect, you are dedicated to excellence. You’re safety conscious, responsible, and conscientious – you know your work has a huge effect on the lives and businesses of your customers, so you leave nothing to chance, and no detail goes unnoticed.
As they continue to grow, so will the opportunities you encounter, and you’ll never find yourself without exciting, empowering, and challenging work.
On a practical level, you will:
- Focus on equipment design –control systems, PLC and HMI’s, and hydraulic interfaces
- Engage in shop testing, field commissioning, and trouble shooting
- Build strong relationships with clients through the design, implementation, and support process
- Travel regularly to client sites and perform all necessary field work
- Develop strong working relationships and great rapport with the Hepburn team
- Participate in application and proposal engineering work
- Mentor junior engineers and team members
This is an on-demand job, that will require roughly 30-50% of your time be spent in the field once you are trained and are comfortable with specific equipment and tools. You should be confident and comfortable travelling internationally, and working independently on-site. You’ll have lots of support from the team, and be empowered make this role what you want it to be.
They have tight-knit atmosphere where everyone is passionate about working hard to contribute to the success of the company. There are no attitudes or egos there – they all succeed when the company succeeds. They are the best in the world at what they do, and their growth reflects that.
So, if you’re looking for a great career opportunity with long term potential for growth, and you have these qualifications, we want to hear from you:
- Post-secondary education – electrical engineering degree
- P. Eng certification or immediate eligibility
- Experience working as an electrical engineer in the automation industry with experience in high-speed PID controllers.
- Experience coding programmable logic controllers in an industrial environment
- Experience developing code for human machine interfaces
- Familiarity with Magelis, and strong general computer skills (MS Office)
- Good understanding of hydraulic systems in a marine environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A valid passport